PROGRAM: INDIVIDUAL TACTICS
OBJECTIVES: Participants will learn how to apply their previously trained combative handgun skills in a lethal confrontation in the home, at work, or on the street. They will learn tactics, techniques, and concepts for assessing and reacting to a wide variety of threats, testing for compliance through verbal commands, and de-escalating or avoiding a situation where possible. They will develop decision making and tactical abilities that will allow them to prevail in a confrontation despite low light, multiple adversaries, stress, limited time, and uncertainty They will learn how to communicate effectively with 9-1-1 operators and responding law enforcement officers.
INSTRUCTIONS: You must ensure that you meet the listed prerequisites, complete all specified pre-course work, and then attend the on-range training detailed below
- Complete DSI's Tier 4 Combative Handgun Program. Outside training may be substituted for the on-range portion of Tier 4 with approval of DSI's Chief Instructor, but all pre-course components of the Tier 4 Combative Handgun Program must still be completed.
- Complete and provide certification of a B-CON (Bleeding Control) course, if it was not included in your Tier 4 training.
- Complete the following Online Courses in the DSI Defense Academy:
- Read the DSI manual, Individual Tactics: Necessary to Defend You and Your Family in the Home and on the Street. Much of the information there is also covered in the Online courses listed above.
- Read Chapters 1 and 2, and Section 6.44 of the DSI Manual Team Tactics: For the Defense of Business, Church, and School.
On-range: attend a Tier 3 Individual Tactics Course:
- 24 hours (three training days) duration.
- Live Fire component: review & refresher of DSI Tier 4 Combative Handgun skills.
- Tactical Medicine component: B-CON (Bleeding Control) refresher and practical applications within scenarios.
- Reality Based Training component: 14 progressively more challenging scenarios utilizing non-lethal training firearms and ammunition, trained and scripted role players, use of force decision making, and application of tactics and techniques in a high stress environment. Each student runs every scenario, either alone or as part of a two-person team.