PROGRAM: COMBATIVE HANDGUN
OBJECTIVES: Participants will learn stress-resistant skills that will allow them to safely and effectively use a handgun to dominate a lethal force confrontation.
INSTRUCTIONS: Complete the pre-course work described below, then - unless DSI has approved the substitution of documented prior training you have completed elsewhere - attend DSI's on-range Tier 4 Combative Handgun Course.
- Read the pre-course materials
- Definition of sides
- Wearing of your equipment
- Chamber check and mag check
- Stance and grip
- Positions out of the holster
- Proper draw/presentation
- Contact drills
- Magazine indexing
- Loading and unloading
- Tactical reload
- Speed reload
- Immediate action
- Remedial action
- Empty gun reload
- Final Exam
- Attend a DSI Tier 4 Combative Handgun Course (or document your completion of a comparable handgun training program at another high quality firearms training school). DSI provides multiple training formats you can choose from to fit your training needs and obtain your Tier 4 certification:
- Hourly format is best for new/novice gun owners who have little or no quality firearms training, don't know about B-CON [Bleeding Control], and need to learn how to safely maneuver in a 360-degree environment with loaded firearms.
- Four-hour Modular format is best for intermediate or experienced gun owners who have had quality training, do have a basic understanding of our techniques or their equivalent and want more realistic training opportunities in a 360-degree training environment, and to brush up on their B-CON skills.
- Make your training stick by utilizing the resources and training advice in the Post-Course Training section of the Student Portal.
- If you are not attending a DSI Tier 4 Combative Handgun Course, please ensure your outside training has included the following skills to ensure you are properly prepared for DSI's Individual Tactics Program.
- Proper use of cover/concealment
- Safely moving with a loaded firearm on a 360° live fire range
- Use of a tactical light in both low and no light environments
- Basic B-CON* (tourniquet, chest seals, wound packing, airway management, etc.)
- Proper use of verbalization skills ("STOP! STOP or I’ll shoot! Leave! Go away!” etc.)
- *A B-CON course certificate is required to complete your Tier 4 certification if not attending DSI Tier 4 training.
- The online Defense Academy is intended to supplement your regular range training program, not to replace it. You should use the Defense Academy training materials as a pre-course primer and as a post-course refresher wherever needed.