MODULAR COMBATIVE HANDGUN is a comprehensive course for the serious students of personal protection.
New gun owners can walk away from this training with extreme confidence in thier new found skills, and veteran gun owners will appreciate the challenge and learn plenty along the way.
The four Modules of this course will provide you the experience needed to safely handle and effectively shoot a handgun, as well as give you a base understanding of the combative skills needed to dominate a lethal force confrontation.
This no-nonsense series will give the novice shooter all the necessary information and stress resistant skills needed to win the fight of their lives, and will help veteran shooters hone their skills to a fine edge.
From wearing your equipment correctly, grip and stance, how to quickly and effectively present, getting your hits with practical combat accuracy using intuitive fire and sighted fire, learning the most likely needed reload for a gunfight, preventing and clearing the most likely malfunction clearance you will run into, moving off the line of attack and safely to cover, shooting in low/no light, and much more.
This fast paced, dynamic, and shooting intensive series of courses are taught entirely on the range in order to maximize your gun handling and trigger time.
WHO the training is for: The Modular Combative Handgun Course has been designed for both new and veteran gun owners who want to learn the gun handling skills and attitudes needed to decisively win the fight of their lives.
WHAT: The Modular Combative Handgun Course is a no-nonsense, gun handling and shooting intensive series of four 4-hour Modules that teach the necessary skills and stress resistant gun-handling techniques needed to safely handle and effectively maneuver during a lethal force encounter.
HOW you will be trained: Our 4-hour Module format goes well beyond typical, administrative state licensing courses and basic NRA-type training by surrounding our clients with a unique training experience and support system which is administered by DSI certified Combative Firearms Instructors (CFIs) who individually help students reach their full potential.
Our training methodology is delivered in three phases: pre-course information and guidance, a 4-hour intensive gun-handling Module, and our post-course support system.
- Pre-course information/guidance. Curricula, equipment lists, etc., are made available to you prior to your course so you can become comfortable with the key concepts and information you will want to know prior to your course, and allows you to have any lingering questions answered directly by your CFI prior to ever stepping foot on the range.
- During each 4-hour range training Module, you will learn practical gun handling skills by practicing them under the watchful eyes of your CFI, in a safe training environment which will leave you with a solid understanding of how to confidently maneuver with and effectively use your handgun. Because all of the "book learning" was done prior to your course, we can invest much more time letting you handle your firearm so you can gain the confidence and knowledge you need to effectively deploy your handgun under more realistic conditions.
- Post-course, your CFI will continue to help you sharpen your skills by providing you with ongoing services, training advice, and ongoing training opportunities that will help you achieve your goals more quickly than you thought possible.
Defense Academy Support: Each phase of your training is supported through our online learning portal, the DSI Defense Academy, which houses all the curricula and materials (instructional videos, manuals, photos, customized training plans, white papers, etc.,) which you will need to access in order to quickly progress your training.
Module-1 - Handgun BASICS: This is a comprehensive combative handgun course for the serious students of personal protection. This no-nonsense course will give the novice shooter all the necessary basic skills needed to win the fight of their lives. From wearing your equipment correctly, grip and stance, how to quickly and effectively draw, getting your hits with practical combat accuracy using reflexive fire, to learning the most likely needed reload for a gunfight, preventing and clearing the most likely malfunction clearance you will run into, moving off the line of attack and safely to cover, and much more.
This is a 4-hour gun-handling and live fire intensive course that stands traditional classroom focused basic courses on their heads and is backed by all of the pre, post, and concurrent support videos, manuals, and study materials found in the DSI Defense Academy.
Module-2 - Handgun SKILL BUILDIER: This pragmatic live fire intensive course starts with testing of those vital combative skills learned in the Module-1 Handgun Basics course and then adds more essential skills such as; sighted combative fire, the correct reload to use if you are worried about going empty, shooting with a concealment garment, moving to cover diagonally, remedial actions for malfunctions, and learning how to shoot your handgun in a low/reduced light environment.
This Module, like Module-1, is presented in a 4-hour shooting-intensive dry practice and live fire on-range training session, backed by all of the supporting materials provided in the DSI Defense Academy.
Module-3 - Handgun SKILL MASTERY: This shooting intensive course begins with the testing of important basics learned in modules 1 and 2. We will introduce to you more reloading options, you will learn what to do when your adversary isn't reacting the way you want him to, teaches you how to deal with multiple adversaries, we will continue to sharpening your ability to shoot quickly and accurately at practical combat distances now under reduced lights/no lights - utilizing a tactical light when needed, moving to cover laterally as well as attacking to the rear. At the end of this course you will have learned almost all of the basic gun-handling techniques needed to protect yourself in a lethal force environment.
This Module, like its precessors, is presented in a 4-hour shooting-intensive dry practice and live fire on-range training session, backed by all of the supporting materials provided in the DSI Defense Academy.
Module-4 - Handgun COMBATIVES: The final course of the basic handgun series completes the basic gun-handling techniques you will need in a fight for life and prepares you for the more realistic elements you can face as a lone operator. The course starts with testing of the previous important combative skills learned through modules 1-3 and then teaches you how to engage close contact targets, introduces improvised shooting positions, affords you ample opportunity to appropriately utilize you tactical light in numerous low/no light environment.
This Module, like its precessors, is presented in a 4-hour shooting-intensive dry practice and live fire on-range training session, backed by all of the supporting materials provided in the DSI Defense Academy.This final module will put a sharp edge on your ability to shoot quickly and accurately leaving you confident in your ability to safely and effectively utilize your handgun during a lethal force encounter, regardless of the situation.
- COST: $150 per module
- DATES: See Schedule
- TIME: 4-hour blocks
- LOCATION: Various locations in the Midwest
- COURSE DOCUMENTS: - Please download and read prior to your course
- REGISTRATION FORM: Please download, fill out, and email back to us
- PREREQUISITES: Modules must be taken in sequential order however, they do not have to be taken on consecutive nights. You can register and pay for each module as your schedule permits.
COURSE CONTENT AND SCHEDULE
Review and practical hands on of:
- Proper practice and new motor skills
- Proper wearing of equipment for fighting
- Equipment adjustment and setup
- Proper magazine indexing
- Review the four universal safety habits
- Firearms nomenclature
- Definitions of anatomic directions specific to fighting
- Definitions of range commands
Lectures, demonstrations, dry, and live practice of:
- Weapons conditions check
- Firearms personal workspace
- Natural stance conducive to moving
- Grip with control
- Fighting from the ready position
- Using the ready to your benefit
- Weapons retention position and the proper use of
- Close contact position and proper the proper use of
- Proper draw/presentation from the holster
- Controlling the SNS response through combative breathing
- Mastering combative sighted fire
- Keeping yourself safe with contact drills
- Defining and using cover and concealment correctly
- Situational awareness and its role in safe movement
- Safely moving forward to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving diagonally to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving laterally to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving up-range to seek cover/concealment
- Safe retrograde movement to seek cover/concealment
- Safe and dynamic yet sure movements to and from cover
- Loading and unloading of firearms
- Proper filling of magazines
- Wearing hearing protection properly
- Diagnostic trigger drills
- Assembly drills
- Balance of speed, accuracy, and its relationship to power
- Mastering reflexive fire
- Integrating combat breathing
- Tactical reloads and their proper niche
- Speed reloads and their tactical niche
- Empty gun reloads
- Fixing a malfunction with immediate action
- Drawing from the concealed garment
- Fast and effective remedial actions
- Failure to stop drills
- Low/no light shooting
- How to handle multiple adversaries
- Extensive firing drills at 3, 5, 7, and 10+ yards (range dependent)
- How to continually improve with dry practice
Pre, concurrent, and post course supporting material
(Manuals, articles, videos, and web-based content via the DSI online Defense Academy)
- Mastering your mind for combat
- Concealed carry practical advice and techniques
- Recognizing reality and learning to operate in it
- How to operate in and master the chaos of a fight
- Understanding violence, becoming comfortable with it, and using it to your advantage
- Psychology of fighting and steeling your mind for the fight
- Quickly mastering combative sighted fire and never doubting your ability again
- Avoiding the litigation landmines after a lethal force encounter
- Tactical fundamentals and adapting them for the situation
- Tactics vs. techniques
- Tactical principles
- Individual movement techniques
- Basic area clearing techniques
- Room entry and clearing
- How to handle doors
- How to clear stairs
- How the decision making process relates to tactics
- The color code of mental awareness
- Drills to develop observation and situational awareness skills
- How the color code relates to Boyd's decision-making process
- Detailed dry practice guides