THE DSI (TIER 4) COMBATIVE SHOTGUN PROGRAM is a comprehensive combative shotgun course for the serious students of personal protection.
New Shotgun owners can walk away from this training with extreme confidence in their newfound skills and veteran shotgun owners will be able to fill knowledge and skill gaps, will enjoy the challenging drills, appreciate having the skills to maneuver to cover, apply Tactical Combat Casualty Care or "TCCC" (TC3) as well as shooting in low and no light, and learn plenty of new skills along the way.
This program will provide you the experience and education needed to safely and effectively handle and shoot a shotgun, as well as give you a base understanding of the combative skills needed to dominate a lethal force confrontation, the Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TC3) needed to save lives, as well as how to deal with the legal ramifications of fighting to save innocent lives.
This no-nonsense program will give the novice shooter all the necessary information and stress resistant skills needed to win the fight of their lives and will help veteran shooters hone their skills to a fine edge.
The program will cover everything you need to know; from wearing your equipment correctly, grip and stance, how to quickly and effectively present from different ready positions, getting your hits with practical combat accuracy using intuitive fire and combative sighted fire, learning the most likely needed reloads for a gunfight, preventing and clearing the most likely malfunction clearance you will run into, moving off the line of attack and safely to cover, shooting in low/no light, and much more.
Your training takes place in a fast-paced, dynamic, hands-on, and shooting intensive course that is taught entirely on the range (there is NO classroom time during your range training, so you won't be stuck sitting in a chair listening to hours of boring lectures). This is done in order to maximize your gun handling, practical application of skills, and give you plenty of trigger time.
WHO is this training for? The Modular Combative Shotgun Course has been designed for both new and veteran shotgun owners who want to learn the gun handling skills and attitudes needed to decisively win the fight of their lives.
WHAT is the Combative Shotgun Course? The Combative Shotgun Course is a no-nonsense, gun-handling and shooting intensive course that teaches the necessary skills and techniques needed to safely handle your firearm, effectively maneuver during a lethal force encounter, the strategies and tactics necessary to dominate a fight for life, and how to deal with life-threatening injuries potentially sustained during a lethal force encounter.
HOW you will be trained: Our Combative Shotgun Course goes well beyond typical, administrative state licensing courses and basic NRA-type training. We do this by surrounding you with a unique training experience and support system which is administered by DSI certified Combative Firearms Instructors (CFIs) who give you personal attention and help you reach your full potential - before, during, and after your initial training.
Our training methodology is delivered in three phases: pre-course information and guidance, intensive on range gun-handling skills and drills, and a post-course support system delivered by your personable DSI certified CFI.
- Pre-course information/guidance. Curricula, equipment lists, training resources, live online Q&As, etc., are made available to you prior to your course through our online training portal (the DSI Defense Academy),so you can become comfortable with the key concepts and information you will want to know prior to your course, which allows you to have any lingering questions answered directly by a CFI prior to ever stepping foot on the range.
- During your range training, you will learn practical gun-handling skills by practicing them under the watchful eyes of your CFI(s), in a safe training environment which will leave you with a solid understanding of how to confidently maneuver with and effectively use your shotgun, and how to apply TC3 at the appropriate time. Because all of the "book learning" was done prior to your course (see above under "Pre-course), we can invest much more time letting you handle and train with your firearm so you can gain the confidence and knowledge you need to effectively deploy your shotgun under more realistic conditions than typical training allows for.
- Post-course, your CFI will continue to help you sharpen your skills by providing you with ongoing services, tie you into your local community of other like-minded professionals, offer training advice, and ongoing training opportunities that will help you achieve your goals more quickly than you thought possible.
Defense Academy Support: Each phase of your training is supported through our online learning portal, the DSI Defense Academy, which houses all the curricula and materials (instructional videos, manuals, photos, customized training plans, white papers, etc.,) which you will need to access in order to quickly progress your training and earn a Graduate level certificate from DSI.
Depending on range availability, DSI CFIs offer the Tier 4 Combative Shotgun Program in three (3) formats: You can train over 2-days (8-hours each), you can take a modular approach which will divide the course up over four 4-hour training sessions (better than the 2-day approach - see below for the outline), or you can attend weekly or bi-weekly (ideal training format) 1-hour training sessions for a total of 16-hours of on-range training.
Module-1 - Shotgun BASICS: This is a comprehensive combative shotgun course for the serious students of personal protection. This no-nonsense course will give the novice shooter all the necessary basic skills needed to win the fight of their lives. From wearing your equipment correctly, grip and stance, how to quickly and effectively present the shotgun from each of the ready positions, getting your hits with practical combat accuracy, learning the most likely reloads you will need, moving off the line of attack, and much more.
This is a 4-hour gun-handling and live fire intensive course that stands traditional classroom focused basic courses on their heads and is backed by all of the pre, post, and concurrent support videos, manuals, and study materials found in the DSI Defense Academy.
Module-2 - Shotgun SKILL BUILDING: This pragmatic live fire intensive course starts with testing of those vital combative skills learned in Module-1 shotgun basics course and then adds more essential skills such as; sighted combative fire, tactical reloads, moving to cover, and immediate actions for malfunctions.
This Module, like Module-1, is presented in a 4-hour shooting-intensive dry practice and live fire on-range training session, backed by all of the supporting materials provided in the DSI Defense Academy.
Module-3 - Shotgun SKILL MASTERY: This shooting intensive course begins with the testing of important basics learned in modules 1 and 2. You will then learn additional malfunction clearances by way of remedial action, teach you what to do when your adversary isn't reacting the way you want him to, and we will continue sharpening your ability to shoot quickly and accurately at practical combat distances. At the end of this course you will have learned almost all of the basic gun-handling techniques needed to protect yourself in a lethal force environment.
This Module, like its precessors, is presented in a 4-hour shooting-intensive dry practice and live fire on-range training session, backed by all of the supporting materials provided in the DSI Defense Academy.
Module-4 - Shotgun COMBATIVES: The final course of the basic shotgun series completes the basic gun-handling techniques you will need in a fight for life and prepares you for the more realistic elements you can face as a lone operator. The course starts with testing of the previous important combative skills learned through modules 1-3 and then teaches you how to deal with multiple adversaries, how to appropriately utilize your tactical light in low/no light shooting drills, introduces alternate shooting options, and teaches you what to do when immediate action fails to work. This course is wrapped in an intensive dry-practice and firing-drill training session which will put a sharp edge on your ability to shoot quickly and accurately, leaving you confident in your ability to safely and effectively utilize your shotgun during a lethal force encounter.
This Module, like its precessors, is presented in a 4-hour shooting-intensive dry practice and live fire on-range training session, backed by all of the supporting materials provided in the DSI Defense Academy. This final module will put a sharp edge on your ability to shoot quickly and accurately leaving you confident in your ability to safely and effectively utilize your handgun during a lethal force encounter, regardless of the situation.
- COST: $800.00
- DATES: See Schedule
- TIME: 1, 4, or 8-hour blocks
- LOCATION: Various locations in the Midwest
- COURSE DOCUMENTS: - Please download and read prior to your course
- REGISTRATION FORM: Please download, fill out, and email back to your CFI
COURSE CONTENT AND SCHEDULE
Review and practical hands-on of:
- Review, and practical hands-on of:
- Proper practice and new motor skills
- Proper wearing of equipment for fighting
- Equipment adjustment and setup
- Proper shot-shell indexing
- Review the four universal safety habits
- Firearms nomenclature
- Definitions of anatomic directions specific to fighting
- Definitions of range commands
Lectures, demonstrations, dry, and live practice of:
- Lectures, demonstrations, dry, and live practice of:
- Weapons conditions check
- Firearms personal workspace
- Natural stance conducive to moving
- Grip with control
- Fighting from the ready position
- Using the ready to your benefit
- Fighting from the high-ready position
- Using the high-ready to your benefit
- Fighting from the field-ready position
- Using the field-ready to your benefit
- Controlling the SNS response through combative breathing
- Mastering combative sighted fire
- Keeping yourself safe with contact drills
- Defining and using cover and concealment correctly
- Situational awareness and its role in safe movement
- Safely moving forward to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving diagonally to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving laterally to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving up-range to seek cover/concealment
- Safe retrograde movement to seek cover/concealment
- Safe and dynamic yet sure movements to and from cover
- Loading and unloading of firearms
- Proper filling of magazines
- Wearing hearing protection properly
- Diagnostic trigger drills
- Assembly drills
- Balance of speed, accuracy and its relationship to power
- Mastering reflexive fire
- Integrating combat breathing
- Tactical reloads and their proper niche
- Empty gun reloads
- Fixing a malfunction with immediate action
- Fast and effective remedial actions
- Failure to stop drills
- Low/no light shooting
- How to handle multiple adversaries
- Extensive firing drills from 3 to 100+ yards (range dependent)
- How to continually improve with dry practice
Pre, concurrent, and post-course supporting material
(Manuals, white papers, articles, videos, and web-based content via DSI Online Defense Academy)
- Mastering your mind for combat
- Recognizing reality and learning to operate in it
- How to operate in and master the chaos of a fight
- Understanding violence, becoming comfortable with it, and using it to your advantage
- Psychology of fighting and steeling your mind for the fight
- Quickly mastering combative sighted and never doubting your ability again
- Avoiding the litigation landmines after a lethal force encounter
- Tactical fundamentals and adapting them for the situation
- Tactics vs. techniques
- Tactical principles
- Individual movement techniques
- Basic area clearing techniques
- Room entry and clearing
- How to handle doors
- How to clear stairs
- How the decision making process relates to tactics
- The color code of mental awareness
- Drills to develop observation and situational awareness skills
- How the color code relates to Boyd's decision-making process
- Detailed dry practice guides
HOW TO REGISTER: Click the course schedule to find the date you would like to attend. Then contact your CFI via email or on our forums. You will need to download and read the course documents, then fill out the one-page registration form and email to him. Once your registration/application is accepted then he will send confirmation and payment instructions.