Combative Rifle is a comprehensive combative rifle course for the serious students of personal protection.
The series of courses will gain you the experience needed to safely handle and effectively shoot a rifle, as well as give you a base understanding of the combative skills needed to dominate a lethal force confrontation.
This no-nonsense series will give the novice shooter all the necessary information and stress resistant skills needed to win the fight of their lives, and will help veteran shooters hone their skills to a fine edge.
From wearing your equipment correctly, grip and stance, how to quickly and effectively present, getting your hits with practical combat accuracy using intuitive fire and combative sighted fire, learning the most likely needed reload for a gunfight, preventing and clearing the most likely malfunction clearance you will run into, moving off the line of attack and safely to cover, shooting in low/no light, and much more.
This fast paced, dynamic, and shooting intensive series of courses are taught entirely on the range in order to maximize your gun handling and trigger time.
WHO is this training for? The Modular Combative Rifle Course has been designed for both new and veteran rifle owners who want to learn the gun handling skills and attitudes needed to decisively win the fight of their lives.
IF you have a desire to learn and are teachable, this course is for you.
WHAT is the Modular Combative Rifle Course? The Modular Combative Rifle Course are a no-nonsense, gun handling and shooting intensive series of time flexible four 4-hour courses that teach the necessary skills and techniques needed to safely handle and effectively shoot your rifle, as well as the strategy and tactics necessary to dominate a lethal force confrontation.
HOW you will be trained: Our 4-hour module format goes well beyond the administrative state licensing and basic NRA type training by surrounding our clients with a unique training experience and support system which is administered by Pulse certified Combative Firearms Instructors or "CFIs" who individually help students reach their full potential.
Our training methodology is delivered in three phases: pre-course information and guidance, a 4-hour gun-handling intensive course, and our post-course support system.
- Pre-course information/guidance. Curricula, equipment lists, etc., are made available to you prior to your course so you can become comfortable with the key concepts and information you will want to know prior to your course, and allows you to have any lingering questions answered directly by your CFI prior to ever stepping foot on the range.
- During the 4-hour range training module, you will learn practical gun handling skills by practicing them under the watchful eyes of your CFI, in a safe training environment which will leave you with a solid understanding of how to confidently maneuver with and effectively use your rifle. Because all of the "book learning" was done prior to your course, we can invest much more time letting you handle your firearm so you can gain the confidence and knowledge you need to effectively deploy our rifle under more realistic conditions.
- Post course your CFI will continue to help you sharpen your skills by providing you with ongoing services, training advice, and ongoing training opportunities that will help you achieve your goals more quickly than you thought possible.
Defense Academy Support: Each phase of your training is supported through our online learning portal the DSI Defense Academy, which houses all the curricula and materials (instructional videos, manuals, photos, customized training plans, white papers, etc.,) which you will need to access in order to quickly progress your training.
Module-1 - Rifle BASICS: This is a comprehensive combative rifle course for the serious students of personal protection. This no-nonsense course will give the novice shooter all the necessary basic skills needed to win the fight of their lives. From wearing your equipment correctly, proper magazine indexing, grip and stance, how to quickly and effectively present the rifle, getting your hits with practical combat accuracy, learning the most likely reloads you will need, moving off the line of attack, and much more.
This is a 4-hour gun-handling and live fire intensive course that stands traditional classroom focused basic courses on their heads and is backed by all of the pre, post, and concurrent support videos, manuals, etc., found in the DSI online Defense Academy.
Module-2 - Rifle SKILL BUILDING: This pragmatic live fire intensive course starts with testing of those vital combative skills learned in module-1 rifle basics course and then adds more essential skills such as; sighted combative fire, tactical reloads, moving to cover, and immediate actions for malfunctions. All of which are wrapped 4-hours of intensive hands-on dry practice and firing drills.
This course, like its predecessor is wrapped in a 4-hour shooting intensive dry-practice and live-firing drill training session and backed by all of the support videos, manuals, etc., found in the DSI online Defense Academy.
Module-3 - Rifle SKILL MASTERY: This shooting intensive course begins with the testing of important basics learned in modules 1 and 2. You will then learn additional malfunction clearances by way of remedial action, speed reloads, teach you what to do when your adversary isn't reacting the way you want him to, and we will continue to sharpening your ability to shoot quickly and accurately at practical combat distances. At the end of this course you will have learned almost all of the basic gun-handling techniques needed to protect yourself in a lethal force environment. This course, like it's predecessors, is wrapped in a 4-hour shooting intensive dry-practice and live-firing drill training session.
This course, like it's predecessors, is wrapped in a 4-hour shooting intensive dry-practice and live-firing drill training session and backed by all of the support videos, manuals, etc., found in the DSI online Defense Academy.
Module-4 - Rifle COMBATIVES: The final course of the basic rifle series completes the basic gun-handling techniques you will need in a fight for life and prepares you for the more realistic elements you can face as a lone operator. The course starts with testing of the previous important combative skills learned through modules 1-3 and then teaches you how to deal with multiple adversaries, how to appropriately utilize your tactical light in low/not light shooting drills, introduces alternate shooting options, and teaches you what to do when immediate action fails to work. This course is wrapped in an intensive dry-practice and firing-drill training session which will put a sharp edge on your ability to shoot quickly and accurately, leaving you confident in your ability to safely and effectively utilize your rifle during a lethal force encounter.
This course, like it's predecessors, is wrapped in a 4-hour shooting intensive dry-practice and live-firing drill training session and backed by all of the support videos, manuals, etc., found in the DSI online Defense Academy. This course will put a sharp edge on your ability to shoot quickly and accurately leaving you confident in your ability to safely and effectively utilize your rifle during a lethal force encounter, regardless of the situation.
- COST: $150 per module
- DATES: See Schedule
- TIME: Times vary in 4-hour blocks (i.e., 1:00pm - 5:00pm, 6:00pm - 10:00pm etc.,) with a :30-minute early check-in
- LOCATION: Shooting Sports and various locations in the Midwest
- COURSE DOCUMENTS: - Please download and read prior to your course
- REGISTRATION FORM: Please download, fill out, and email back to us
- PREREQUISITES: Modules must be taken in sequential order however, they do not have to be taken on consecutive nights. You can register and pay for each module as your schedule permits.
COURSE CONTENT AND SCHEDULE
Review and practical hands on of:
- Review, and practical hands on of:
- Proper practice and new motor skills
- Proper wearing of equipment for fighting
- Equipment adjustment and setup
- Proper magazine indexing
- Review the four universal safety habits
- Rifle nomenclature
- Definitions of anatomic directions specific to fighting
- Definitions of range commands
Lectures, demonstrations, dry, and live practice of:
- Weapons conditions check
- Firearms personal workspace
- Natural stance conducive to moving
- Grip with control
- Fighting from the ready position
- Using the ready to your benefit
- Fighting from the high-ready position
- Using the high-ready to your benefit
- Fighting from the field-ready position
- Using the field-ready to your benefit
- Controlling the SNS response through combative breathing
- Mastering combative sighted fire
- Keeping yourself safe with contact drills
- Defining and using cover and concealment correctly
- Situational awareness and its role in safe movement
- Safely moving forward to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving diagonally to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving laterally to seek cover/concealment
- Safely moving up-range to seek cover/concealment
- Safe retrograde movement to seek cover/concealment
- Safe and dynamic yet sure movements to and from cover
- Loading and unloading of firearms
- Proper filling of magazines
- Wearing hearing protection properly
- Diagnostic trigger drills
- Assembly drills
- Balance of speed, accuracy, and its relationship to power
- Mastering reflexive fire
- Integrating combat breathing
- Tactical reloads and their proper niche
- Empty gun reloads
- Fixing a malfunction with immediate action
- Fast and effective remedial actions
- Failure to stop drills
- Low/no light shooting
- How to handle multiple adversaries
- Extensive firing drills from 3 to 200-yards+ (range dependent)
- How to continually improve with dry practice
Pre, concurrent, and post course supporting material
(Manuals, articles, videos, and web-based content via the DSI online Defense Academy)
- Mastering your mind for combat
- Recognizing reality and learning to operate in it
- How to operate in and master the chaos of a fight
- Understanding violence, becoming comfortable with it, and using it to your advantage
- Psychology of fighting and steeling your mind for the fight
- Quickly mastering combative sighted fire and never doubting your ability again
- Avoiding the litigation landmines after a lethal force encounter
- The color code of mental awareness
- Drills to develop observation and situational awareness skills
- How the color code relates to Boyd's decision-making process
- Detailed dry practice guides
If you have not already completed DSI's Tier 3 Individual Tactics Program, do so at your earliest opportunity. The tactics, techniques and concepts taught there and a direct follow-on to the gun handling skills you have mastered in Tier 4 and are as applicable to the rifle as they are to the handgun. The next step - detailed in our Advanced Training Plan - is then Tier 2 Team Tactics, where you will bring your weapons and individual tactics skills to bear on the challenges of home, business, school, or church defense, and achieve the synergy and power of operating as a team with other trained individuals.
HOW TO REGISTER: Click the course schedule link to find the date you would like to attend. Then contact your CFI via email or on our forums. You will need to download and read the course documents, then fill out the one-page registration form and email to him. Once your registration/application is accepted then he will send confirmation and payment instructions.