THE COMBATIVE FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR (CFI) PROGRAM is designed for military, law enforcement, and NRA instructors who want to add advanced combative and reality-based training options for individuals, businesses, churches, and communities to their offerings.
Synergistic Advanced Combative Firearms TrainingAdvanced combative firearms and reality-based training for individuals, businesses, schools, churches and communities. Non-competitive with NRA offerings.
Significant Incremental Revenue OpportunitiesSignificant additional revenue opportunities including course revenues, manuals, on-line membership subscriptions and commissions on referrals.
Integrated On-line On-range And On-site CurriculumComprehensive curriculum including training scripts, plans, course and program formats, administrative documents, integrated training manuals and videos.
Click To View Course Schedule And RegisterExtensive on-line, on-range and recurrent training and certification process. Click to view schedule for upcoming certification courses and to register.
The CFI program works much like the NRA instructor program - candidate instructors pay DSI for their training and are then are accredited to instruct and certify their own students utilizing DSI's methodology and training resources available to them as DSI Certified instructors. DSI certified CFI's can purchase training materials, sales, and marketing collaterals, "SWAG," and other training resources from DSI if they desire.
You can either scroll down and read the program details or click on the link to be taken to that section.
- Description of the CFI program.
- Sales and marketing resources.
- Administrative resources.
- The certification process.
Candidates for CFI program must have significant firearms training experience and above average gun handling skills. Tier 4 candidates must be a current military, LEO, or NRA instructor with a solid firearms background, and ideally already established in their community. Tier 3 and above candidates must have significant military or tactical law enforcement backgrounds.
There are four tiers of certification offered:
Tier 4: Combatives - Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle
- Cost: $895 Handgun (Rifle + Shotgun add-ons)
- Duration: 2 Range days, 20 hours online.
- Experience: Must be a current instructor (NRA or equivalent) with significant training experience.
Tier 3: Individual Tactics - Reality Based Training
- Cost: $1,495
- Duration: 2 Range days, 40 hour online.
- Pre-requisites: Must have Tier 4 certification plus significant tactical law enforcement or military background.
Tier 2: Team Tactics Defense of Business, School, Church
- Cost $2,495
- Duration: 2 Range days. 80 hours online
- Pre-requisites: Tier 3 certification
Tier 1: Unit Tactics Defense of Community
- Cost $2,495
- Duration: 2 Range days. 80 hours online
- Pre-requisites: Tier 2 certification
Certification programs are run year-around at locations throughout the United States. See details below.
The CFI Program is NOT a firearms training program for instructors - weapons proficiency are a must and proper gun-handling skills are expected. CFI candidates will spend all their time teaching the DSI curricula to DSI standards, setting up and tearing down ranges, running the firing line, demonstrating their shooting skills when not lecturing, and learning the processes needed to recruit, engage, and track student progress in order to run a successful firearms training business.
The CFI program offers candidate instructors:
- Advanced courses and programs to sell to their existing NRA students.
- World class training and certification process teaching combative firearms instruction.
- Comprehensive curriculum including training scripts, plans, course and program formats, administrative best practices guide, documents, integrated training manuals, and videos.
- Additional revenue opportunities via sale of manuals, DSI Defense Academy memberships and other partnerships.
Once certified the CFI is then authorized to train and certify students using the DSI curriculum and resources. The CFI sets their own price and keeps all of the revenue from their training.
The highlights of the CFI program include:
- Turnkey combative firearms training program that integrates firearms fundamentals, reality based training and small unit tactics.
- Training Ladder provides opportunity to grow powerful and lasting relationships with individuals, businesses, churches, schools, and communities.
- CFI courses and programs do not compete with existing NRA, CCW and other entry level courses, instead DSI courses enhance and expand the CFI's offerings.
- CFI's can operate independently or partner up with a gun shop or existing DSI Authorized Training Partner (ATP).
The DSI "Training Ladder"
The DSI "Training Ladder" is at the core of our training resources and describes a step-by-step approach for students to progress as far and as fast as they want in order to meet their training objectives. The training ladder moves a firearms novice through four stages of skill development:
1. Developing basic firearms fundamentals on handgun, shotgun, and rifle.
2. Applying these skills to individual maneuver for self-defense.
3. Developing team tactics necessary to defend business, church, and school.
4. Learning small unit tactics for defense of neighborhoods and communities.
The training ladder begins with mastering basic handgun manipulations in a personal defense scenario. Then it adds shotgun and rifle to the personal defense skills inventory, followed by introducing individual tactics for defense in home and on the street. Next are team tactics necessary to defend a single location like a school, church, or business. The training ladder culminates with small unit tactics for the defense of a community; like a neighborhood, village, or small town.
All of our training resources are organized around the training ladder - the manuals, courses, programs and are proprietary "training fittings" are all designed to engage and move a student/client up the ladder thereby creating new revenue opportunities for instructors, ranges and shops.
As a CFI you have access to sales, advertising and marketing collaterals to help sell your services to gun shops and potential prospects and to help gun shops and ranges to sell your products and services. You also have access to other resources that allow you to communicate with your students. Below is a representative sample of these resources. Some of these resources come with your certification fee, others, like the NRA, can be purchased from us.
Your Own Training Group - Training groups are the CFI's private section inside of the DSI Defense Academy where you go to interact with your student cadre.
You can personalize your training group with your own branding and messaging.
Your students must have a payed monthly membership to the DSI Defense Academy to be in your training group.
Inside your training group you can:
- Make posts of upcoming events, training dates, etc.
- Upload videos of your training.
- Store files like your own graded threat matrix, METL’s, site assessment, etc.,
- Post photos of your facility, training exercises, etc.
Digital Identity - Digital images you can use to put together your own web pages and other online presentations and email campaigns. (Comes with certification fee.)
- DSI Logo
- DSI Defense Academy Logo
- Training Ladder
Marketing And Advertising Collaterals - In store marketing and advertising collaterals for the CFI. (Available for purchase from inside the DSI Defense Academy.)
- Flyer/Postcards - DSI
- Certification Sticker
- Small 8.5” x 11” Counter Top Poster
- Larger 24” x 36” Hanging Poster
- Floor Banner with Stand
Kits/Swag - Clothing, caps and accessories for you and your clients.(Available for purchase from inside the DSI Defense Academy.)
- Certification Patch
- TAG Cap
- Polo Shirt
- Jacket 3-way
Certification Packs (Available for purchase from inside the DSI Defense Academy.)
One of the more important aspects of training for students is a measurement or acknowledgement of their training achievements. We offer signed official DSI certifications and challenge coins that can be bought by our CFI's and then awarded to students who successfully complete their course.
Affiliate Information - Account set-up and web images. (Comes with certification fee.)
- Affiliate Tiles/Banners
All CFI's work out of our CFI Portal which is inside the DSI Defense Academy. Inside the CFI Portal you will find: certification process details; training scripts, schedules and notes; sales collaterals AND marketing resources, etc.
Additionally, as a certified CFI you have access to our library of administrative forms and other content you can use to help launch and run your training business.
- Monthly ATP Schedule: A Word document template that CFIs can use to post training schedules at your ATP's online calendar.
- Combative Sighted Fire Report: A PDF to be sent to a student prior to attending specific modular courses.
- Student Course Curricula: A PDF documents to be sent to the student prior to attending a course. Also used in pre-sales.
- CFI Student Alpha File: A spreadsheet that CFIs can use to track students training progress.
- Numerous Email Templates: Sent to students for sales conversions, pre, and post course training, follow up, training opportunity/update formats that help your students take their training to the next level.
- Stands and Barricades Blueprints: This are PowerPoint file and .pdf showing the design of the standard barricades and stands CFIs will can use for training outdoors.
- General Liability Release: This is a Word doc template release of liability that the CFI can customize customize for his jurisdiction.
- Dry Practice Rules and Guide: This is release indicated that the student understands and will abide by the suggested dry practice rules while providing students a step-by-step guide to safe and effective long term dry-practice routine.
- Basic Course Range Equipment Inventory: This is a checklist you can modify for all the equipment you'll need to stage your training courses.
- Range and Classroom Set-up: A checklist of tasks to make sure you set-up and take down all equipment and property.
- Range Pack List: Master checklist of all training items.
- Trauma Bag Load-Out: Checklist of all medical items.
Instructors must first pass the "Qualifying Certification" which allows them to instruct the curriculum, certify students and sell our offerings. Then, each year they must either re-qualify via "Recurring Certification" or train a minimum number of students for the prior 12 months:
Tier 4: Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle. $895 Qualifying Certification /$495 Recurring Certification or 10 certified students over 12 months
Tier 3: Individual Tactics. $1,495 Qualifying Certification /$995 Recurring Certification or 4 programs over 12 months
Tier 2: Team Tactics. $2,495 Qualifying Certification /$1,495 Recurring Certification or 2 programs over 12 months
Tier 1: Unit Tactics. $2,495 Qualifying Certification/$1,495 Recurring Certification or 1 program over 12 months
Each instructor upon passing their certification receive a signed paper certification suitable for framing, a patch for their cap and a t-shirt with their cert level logo.
REGISTRATION FOR THE TIER 4 COMBATIVE FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
This program is for candidates interested in becoming a certified DSI Combative Firearms Instructors (CFI). The CFI program is designed for current NRA instructors who want to add advanced combative and reality-based training options for individuals, businesses, churches and communities
We only accept CFI candidates with significant firearms training experience for our Tier 4 CFI's. Tier 3 and above must have significant tactical law enforcement or military experience. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
There is a 30-day, 20-hour online course preparation requirement leading up to the 2-day on range training event.
CFI candidates will have have to do their homework as well as attend weekly Monday evening 1-hour (7-8pm Central) online meetings in order to pass the course. Candidates must demonstrate declarative knowledge, procedural skills and techniques, and most importantly - the ability to deliver them effectively using our methodology.
If the CFI does not pass the first time they can return and retake the course at a reduced rate.
These are the steps to becoming a DSI certified Combative Firearms Instructor:
- Select your course date and register.
- Send us an email to email@example.com outlining your firearms training experience and contact information.
- We will then schedule a private briefing which is conducted via teleconference, during which we present the opportunity to you in detail.
- If we are satisfied that you have a strong chance of achieving your certification then we will clear you for your course and invoice you for the course fee.
Your Certification Cost Includes
- The training course fee.
- Web site listing on the DSI web site including "baseball card" and full page profile.
- Co-branded Defense Group inside the DSI Defense Academy.
- Access to all administrative files inside the CFI Portal.
Your certification cost does not include:
- Travel and lodging
- Weapons and equipment - you a professional, so you should already have your own.
- Merchandising elements
- Sales and marketing support resources.
Plan on arriving no later than the evening prior to your course date. Sign-in begins at 0700 the day of your course. The course will start promptly at 0800. Late-comers will not be allowed to take the course. Please bring a sack lunch and snacks.
Day One Itinerary
Course Instruction: 0800 - 2000
Day Two Itinerary
Course Instruction: 0800 - 1800
Quad-Cities, IL. There are many lodging options available in the Quad-Cities. Please do a Google search on lodging in the Quad-Cities to view your options.
Galena, IL. Galena is about 1 hour away. This is great option for those of you who might bring your significant other. Galena is a beautifully preserved, historically significant town, renowned as a tourist destination with all sorts of things to do. Please do a Google search for Galena lodging options.
Cancellations And Refunds
Once your payment is processed then you are committed to the program. There are no refunds. If you are unable to attend your scheduled date then you will be able to cancel and attend a future program. We train rain or shine so there are no weather cancellations. Should we cancel a program after payment has been made then we will either refund your payment in full or apply it towards the next course.
Additional Costs And Considerations
Once you have paid for, and gained your certification, you have no other obligation to pay us anything or to purchase anything from us. For those CFI's who would like marketing support and or merchandising support we offer a number of items and services you can purchase directly from us which we will cover during your private briefing.